Monday, February 21, 2011

Late Night Cake Baking Session

Waiting for Daddy's flight to land. According to the Air Canada website he's delayed by an hour and won't be landing until 1:57am. That means he probably won't get home until closer to 3am if he can catch a cab right away.

I'm trying out the Flourless Chocolate Cake I recipe from allrecipes.com.  When I bought the ingredients, I didn't have my shopping list with me so I didn't realize that I needed 18 chocolate squares. I ended up buying only 8 semi-sweet chocolate squares, so I just halved the recipe and used a loaf tin instead of a cake pan.

I don't have a double boiler so I used the microwave method to melt the chocolate - I put the chocolate into a bowl, microwave for about 5-7 seconds, take out the bowl and stir, stir, stir... then repeat until all the chocolate has melted.  I didn't run into any problems with burning the chocolate this way.  I also don't have an electric mixer, so I just hand mixed everything.  I can imagine that it would be faster and more evenly mixed with an electric one... but I do what I can with what I have.

Anyhow, the cake was pretty easy to make.  It's still baking in the oven, so I'll have to see the results in about 10 minutes.  It will still need to chill overnight, so I won't get to taste it until later.

---

We tried the cake today.  Daddy doesn't think it tastes quite like cake or a brownie... he doesn't seem to like it.  Personally, I like it.  It's really dense and rich and extremely chocolatey.  It is sweet (I used semi-sweet chocolate), so I can see how some people might find it too sweet.  I didn't add any sort of frosting or fondant on top.  Isaac liked the cake.  His response: "More please".  I'm still deciding if I'll use this recipe for his birthday cake or not.  I might still go with it, and purchase a mango cake as an option to people who want a "real" cake. :)

I picked up ingredients to make fondant, but was too lazy to attempt it today.  Maybe I'll give it a go tomorrow or another day during this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment