Thursday, September 3, 2015

Homemade Strawberry Fruit Roll Ups



It's been over 5 years since I last attempted to make strawberry fruit roll ups.  In my last go, I had a hand blender and used parchment paper to line a baking sheet.  This time, I've got upgraded kitchen gadgets and a kitchen helper (the boy).

3 cups of strawberries - washed and roughly chopped
3-4 tbsp sugar

I preheated the oven to my lowest temperature (170F).  We pureed the strawberries and sugar in the blender.  Next we poured the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat.  I evened out/spread out the mixture over the baking sheet.  Then I placed it into the oven.  Now we wait... 6-8 hours.

They turned out pretty good - just a bit crispy around the edges.  Four rolls were eaten before I got a chance to take a picture.  I loved how easy it was to peel off the silicone mat!  Now I want to get a second mat so that we can make two batches at a time.

I want to experiment with some different fruits to see what my fruit-picky kid will eat.

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy, though also a lot of work! How did you do the parchment paper? How did you cut? Would it work in a dehydrator?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surprisingly wasn't much work at all. Just the same prep as making a smoothy except the baking and long wait for it to dry/bake. I'd imagine a food dehydrator would work, I just don't have one. :)
      After it baked, I turned off the heat and left it in the oven overnight (so I think It dried a bit more). I had no problem peeling it off the silicone mat and transferring it onto a piece of parchment paper. Then I trimmed the excess paper, and used scissors to cut it into strips with the fruit leather on the parchment.
      If you have to bake directly on the parchment paper... It does stick and is a lot of work to separate. Be sure to grease the parchment paper beforehand (though doing so may affect the taste a touch).

      Delete