Friday, March 4, 2011

Birthday Party Planning

I just sent out invitations to Isaac's Birthday Party.  This year we want to have a (primarily) kids party.  I've invited friends from our play group and prenatal group.  Hopefully most of our friends will be able to come.

I'm planning to host a Lego Duplo themed party.  I'm going to attempt to make a Lego cake.  So far I'm planning to set up several different activity stations: 1) Lego construction area, 2) Lego train/tracks area, 3) Lego house and mini figures area, 4) Play kitchen - fake food, pots and pans, 5) Arts and Crafts area - I need to think of some not too messy arts & crafts (this means: no glue, no paint, no playdough, no glitter) - still deciding if crayons will be problematic or not with a bunch of toddlers loose.

I have 2 "games" planned, though I have extremely low expectations that the kids will play (even with parental assistance).

To do:
- Try NOT to get sick. (Not successful - but I am recovering and have one more day to get completely better)
- Test out fondant recipe. (Did not test... will make it tomorrow anyways.)
- Order a backup cake - maybe a yummy mango cake from Michelle's. (Done.)
- Assemble loot bags for kids. I've got everything in a box. (Done.)
- Wash kid cups. (Done.)
- Pick up water, juice, pop. (Done.) Do we want to serve coffee/tea with cake!?
- Decide on what lunch and snacks to serve adults and kids and pre-order if necessary.
- Think about what clothes to dress Isaac in - will have to be something he can play in but would look nice in for pictures.
- Check that we have enough plates (for lunch and cake), napkins, cups, utensils.
- Get extra rolls of paper towels (for spills, etc).
- Decide on some music.
- Plan arts & craft activities.

- Bake cakes (two days in advance). (Done.)
- Decorate cakes (one day in advance). (Done.)
- Pick up keys for the lounge (one day in advance). (Done.)
- Charge camera batteries and make sure camera has lots of space for pictures (one day in advance).


On Party Day:
- Inflate balloons and decorate room.
- Set up table (from storage room). (Done.)
- Make sure cake and food are ready.
- Set up play stations.
- Put a box of wipes, spare diapers and kleenex in lounge washroom and check that there is soap and toilet paper.
- Get changed.
- Have fun!
- Clean up.
- Return keys.
- Write thank-yous.

If I remember anything else I should do, I'll add it to this list.
We have 4 toddlers + Isaac, one baby, and 12 adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment