Monday, March 28, 2011

Birthday Party Madness!

I went to bed at 4am - tired but could not fall asleep easily.  We got up at 7:30am.  I took a shower while Daddy fed the boy breakfast - applesauce.

We put on some shows for the boy to watch and worked in the kitchen trying to prepare the lunch for the kids and the veggie platter.  Daddy started moving things down to the party room.  We were running behind schedule!

At 9:14am, we were expecting our friend to come at 9am to help... BUT...

The buzzer for our front door was replaced during the week.  I didn't test it out yesterday... turns out our number was deleted from the system.  I had to go downstairs to let my friend in.  We go test the buzzer in the parking lot.  At least that works.

9:50am. I'm still in the kitchen cooking.  M&L buzz us from the parking.  They come up.  Michael brings stuff down and get M&L to help us set up the room.  Daddy goes to pick up a mango cake.

A bit after 10am, our first toddler guest arrives.  I'm still upstairs cooking - but I have to run down to let them in.  I turn off the stove and let the food continue to cook in the pot.

10:18am.  I'm done cooking... but there are still lots of stuff to bring downstairs.  I grab a load and head down but I left my cellphone in our unit.  UH OH!  When I went back up to our unit, I found I missed 2 calls.  Someone is buzzing us a 3rd time from the parking and someone is calling our home phone at the same time.  I try to let our parking guests in but for some reason, it's NOT working.  At the same time, I'm trying to talk on the phone with our guest waiting outside the front lobby doors.  People are confused as I try to sort out both calls at the same time.  I end up going down to the lobby, then dashing to the parking lot (to find Daddy letting our parking guests in).  Thanks Daddy!!

I bring our guests up to the party room, then continue to move stuff down from our unit.

Things finally settle down for a bit for me.  Daddy goes back up a few more times to get stuff we've forgotten.  I spend some time watching Isaac play and chatting a little with some of the other kids and parents.  We set up the juice and tupperwares of fruits and veggies.  Daddy orders some pizza.

The kids start snacking.  Watermelon seems to be a big hit with all the kids (except Isaac).

Daddy comes back with the pizza and I make a couple of trips to bring down the macaroni and sauce in our big pots.

Our final guests arrive.  Isaac looks ready to conk out and when I ask him if he wants to nap - he says yes.  I decide that we do the cake part before he falls asleep...

Isaac smiles and waits when he sees his cake.  He is incredibly happy as everyone sings "Happy Birthday" to him.  He has a huge grin on his face.  It melts my heart watching him.  He attempts to blow out his candle.  (I help him on his second attempt.)  We give him some cake.  It tastes like a chocolate brownie.  His lips are smeared with chocolate and blue fondant.  After that, his energy levels go up and he's ready to play again.

Guests start leaving.

M and L bring up Isaac's birthday present and he seems to LOVE it - a tricycle.  He spends a lot of time playing with it, sitting on it, dumping things from the basket out.  Me: I'm undecided about it. It's really cute, but the tires are plastic so it'll probably break pretty fast if we take it outside. Still deciding if we should keep it or switch it for something else.  A minor scuffle breaks out over the tricycle.

At around 2:30pm - Isaac has a meltdown as I am changing his diaper.  Daddy, M and L clean up the room and bring all our stuff up while I take him up for a nap but he would not sleep.  Potty time.  Then he wanted to eat more food.  He kept asking for more ham.  After we had some mango cake.  Isaac kept asking for and eating pieces of L's slice of cake.

I go to take a nap, but Isaac hangs out with Daddy, M and L.  M&L leave and Isaac comes to look for me.  I try to put him down for a nap, but as soon as I try to transfer him to his crib, he's up and screaming.  I think he's over-stimulated and over-tired.  Not a great combination.  We let Isaac open one present.

Daddy gives Isaac a bath.  Then we go down to look over the party room and do some spot cleaning.

We put the boy down for bed at around 8:30pm.

I still need to return the keys for the lounge before 9am.

No comments:

Post a Comment