Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lego Shopping Addiction

Move over ebay... I just discovered bricklink and it's easy to search for random lego pieces.  I have to stop looking on that site or I'll end up buying a lot more stuff.  I've never had any problems with ordering things off ebay, so we'll see how it goes with bricklink sellers.

What I like about bricklink: huge selection of lego, no bidding wars
What I dislike about bricklink: it's hard to determine the shipping costs, and there's a lot of just waiting around. When you submit an order (you have committed to buying it without fully knowing the exact shipping and handling costs), then you wait for the seller to come back to you with the total, they wait for you to pay, you wait for them to check that you've paid, you wait for them to send you the items, and you wait for the items to be shipped.  Granted that you can't control the wait times for the actual shipping... I still find it frustratingly slow compared to shopping on ebay.

I wonder if I should set up a store on bricklink or ebay to sell off some excess lego duplo inventory I've accumulated?  Any how, it's something I can probably do relatively easily.  The barrier to entry is low (hence lots of competition and you're limited by what you have available to sell and the price you want to sell at).  I have some ideas of how to create interesting lots but it's doubtful I'd be able to make any significant money from it.  Since there is a lower supply of duplo on ebay, I suspect that I would be able to make more per transaction by listing on ebay.  I would have to look into the fees involved in setting up a sellers account on paypal and also one of the systems to see if it's even worth my while or not.  I would also have to look into possible tax implications - and consult with my accountant [AKA... my dad].  It could be a fun hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment