Sunday, June 20, 2010

Walks

I find it difficult to go out for walks with a stroller in tow.  It's okay if Isaac is in the stroller but when he's walking it's tricky to push the stroller and chase after Isaac.  I leave the stroller at home unless I expect Isaac to nap while we're out or it's raining and I don't want to deal with Isaac getting soaked playing in puddles.  I wish we had a full rain suit or some rain pants.

One cold and rainy day, we were on our way to visit the library.  I wanted to give Isaac a chance to walk in the rain but didn't pack any spare clothes.  Besides the stumbles causing his pants to get a little wet, he decided that it would be lovely to SIT in a puddle.  I was not too thrilled.  When we got to the library, I took off his pants and had him running around in his onesie.  It was quite cold, but he would probably be colder wearing soaked pants.  We ended up leaving the library program shortly after it began.  I tried my best to dry his pants (using paper towels at the washroom) but they were still very damp.  I even took us to another washroom to use the hand dryer.  That helped a bit more, but it didn't completely dry.  Now, I am more cautious about letting Isaac romp freely when it's wet outside.  It's ok if we're already on our way home, but not encouraged if we're on our way somewhere else.

When I first started taking Isaac out on daily walks, he would go off and do his own thing.  He ignored my calls and was too busy exploring.  He'd go pretty far away from me and would look up once in awhile to check that I was still around.  I thought about getting a child harness, but in the end decided that I would try to get him used having me hold his hand.

At first, he would push my hand away.  When that didn't work, he just fell or sat down.  He seems to be more comfortable with me holding his hands especially when we're on the sidewalk.  Recently, he has started holding one of my fingers when we're walking together.  I think it's cute.  I'm enjoying this while he's still little.

No comments:

Post a Comment