Friday, June 4, 2010

Arts & Craft: Sock puppet



I've been wanting to buy a puppet from Toys R Us for awhile now but decided to try to make one for Isaac instead.  This morning during our daily walk in the neighbourhood, we stopped off at Value Village on our way home.  I picked up a pair of socks ($0.99), and couple of packs of random buttons ($1.99 each).  When we got home, I put Isaac down for his nap then dug out my trusty little sewing kit from my undergraduate years to sew the buttons onto the socks.

To make this puppet, I used:
1 pair of fuzzy blue socks,
3 buttons (2 for the eyes and 1 for the nose),
and 2 plastic hoops (for the ears/horns).

I rolled up one sock into a ball (for the head), then sewed the buttons for the nose and eyes on.  I added a couple of stitches around the mouth area (just below the nose).  Next, I placed the hoops between the head and the body (the other sock), and sewed the pieces together.  Finally, I put my hand into the sock and added some stitches between my thumb, and between my pinkie finger to form the puppet's hands.

So far Isaac has been trying to pull off all the buttons, but it's holding up to the attack.  We will have to see how the puppet fares after a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment