Saturday, October 22, 2011

Getting Ready for Halloween

Costume... check!
Pumpkin carving... (we'll be doing that tomorrow)!

This coming week at preschool, the kids are asked to dress up in Halloween costumes (if they want to).  We finally made our way to the Gourmet Warehouse to pick up the key component of Isaac's Halloween costume.  A kid-sized chef toque!!!  I saw it there the last time we visited, so I just hoped they would have some in stock today.  We were not disappointed.  There was only one choice for a plain white chef toque ($5.00) - all the rest had colours or other patterns on them.   Isaac also picked out a wooden spoon ($2.50) for himself.  He saw some cupcakes displayed in the baking ware section and kept asking for the cupcakes!!!

When we got home, Isaac put on the toque right away (and has agreed to wear it to his next cooking class as well).  There's velcro on the back so that it can be adjusted by a tiny bit.

We picked up some sushi for lunch.  I took an afternoon nap and Isaac stayed in bed and napped with me.  I'm glad he's sleeping.  If not, I would likely have had to take him out for a walk in his stroller.

Tomorrow we'll be picking up a pumpkin for a jack-o'lantern.  That should be fun.  I wonder if Isaac remembers helping to scoop out the seeds last year?

Here's a picture of the mini quiches Isaac made in cooking class last week:


I was surprised that he was willing to eat the green and red peppers in the quiche since he generally doesn't eat peppers (not even off a pizza).  I think he liked the peppers because they were in a tart, the texture was soft and they were covered in cheese.  Or maybe it's simply because *he* made it so he wanted to eat his creation.

Update from the past week:
Tuesday, I took Isaac to the library and playground.  An older girl (3.5yrs old) took his sand bucket and he chased her around trying to get it back.  I only put a stop to it when he was up on the big kids playground equipment and started going down the ladder facing out while holding onto his sand shovels.  I was afraid he would fall down because he was focussed on catching S.  He didn't want to leave the playground, so I had to physically remove him and put him into his stroller.  He was fine once he got back his bucket.  On Friday we had a play date at Auntie S's house.  Isaac had a lot of fun.  All was well until after lunch, the kids went crazy.  They started off sitting on the stairs together screaming and kicking the steps.  Then they went upstairs (I told Isaac he wasn't allowed upstairs and took him down).  From downstairs, we were hear periodic loud "Boom"s from the kids jumping off a bed.  I was really surprised that he listened to me, by staying on the first flight of the staircase!  I could see that he wanted to go up and join the other kids, but he was good.  I let him play for awhile longer until he started getting destructive.  He helped with clean up time but put up a fight when we had to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment