Friday, September 3, 2010

Clogged Ducts... Ugggh

I don't like clogged ducts.  A few friends asked if I will stop breastfeeding.  My current plan is to try to continue until 2 years.  I've already experienced clogged ducts several times.  The chills/fever seem to hit pretty quickly but doesn't usually last too long.  It's the soreness, pain, and tender hard lumpy areas that are most unpleasant.

If it's bad, I rest in bed for a day.  I take Tylenol initially to help control the chills, then Advil for the first day or two to help me cope with the pain.  I also try to massage the lumps, and put an ice gel pack on.  The main thing that helps me clear it up fastest is to try to get my son to nurse on the affected side as often as possible.  I usually try to position him so that his lower lip is on the same side as the lump(s).  It occasionally leads to some acrobatic maneuvers to accomplish this.

I'm lucky my husband is able to help watch Isaac when I'm not feeling well!  So glad to be back to normal though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment