Monday, September 12, 2011

Little Chefs Cooking Class

This morning was a rush.  We missed the early bus by a few minutes.  We waited about 17 minutes for the next bus.  When we got to the station, I had to carry Isaac and make a dash for the trains.  The train was crowded, so I'm glad I didn't bring a stroller (not to mention, I wouldn't have been able to run with it since the wheels aren't happy if I attempt to walk fast).  We transferred to another bus and got to the cooking class 5 minutes late.  Door-to-door travel time was about 1 hour 10 minutes.

Little Chefs I is a 1.5 hour cooking class for 2-3 year olds.  We're actually allowed to leave them in the class and pick them up afterwards - it's a parent-optional class.  Each parent volunteers to help out during one class in the term.  Next time, I need to remember to bring a container so that I can bring home their cooking.

When we arrived, some of the kids were seated around a big table while others were lined up at the sink to wash their hands.  We joined the hand-washing line-up.  One of the teachers handed out a mixing bowl to each kid.  After she went around the table and everyone got a turn scooping a cup of flour and adding in some water to their mixing bowls.  They mixed with forks and their hands.  Then they were encouraged to flatten out their dough and punch out circles.  The teachers put the cookies onto baking sheets and put them in the oven.  The kids washed their hands, then helped to scrub down the table.  

Snack time
The teacher sang a song (where each child had to say there name and what snack they were eating).  I was filling out a form at the time, so I missed listening to hear if Isaac said his name or not but I did hear him say "craisins" for his snack. :)

After snack time,  the (non-edible) cookies were just about ready and cooled briefly.  The teacher handed out everyone's cookies and they were allowed to decorate them with crayons.  The crayons melted on the cookies.  There was a hole punched on the cookies so that we could bring them home, string them and hang them up.

The teacher went over a list of things the kids will be making this term.  I requested a copy of the list so that I can post about that next week.

I was amazed that most the kids behaved pretty well in the class.  I plan to stay and observe next class and in the following sessions, I may go to the library to do some reading. :)

1 comment:

  1. "Craisins!"
    It sounds like Isaac had a lot of fun. I hope he can bake me some cookies the next time he's in town!

    ReplyDelete